Saturday, May 2, 2009

Flattering

I got a call today from a friend of mine to let me know that a friend of hers wants to ask me out on a date.

I pinched myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming because this *never* happens.

Turns out about a year ago, I was over at her place when the dude came by to visit. And apparently, he hasn't stopped thinking about me since. He somehow convinced himself that I was married, and therefore, not available.

He was chatting with my friend the other day and somehow I came up in the conversation. It was then confirmed that I am in fact single. So he asked my friend for my number. She told him she'd ask.

I was embarrassed to tell her that I did not remember this dude at all. Aside from the fact that he is male, I had zero recollection of him. However, he has me burned in his brain forever according to her. He said I was "smoking hot" and had a "wicked singing voice".

So would I consider going out with this guy who apparently adores me? Of course. However, it turns out that he is a smoker. And unfortunately, that's one of my deal breakers. I told my friend to tell him thanks but no thanks. My ex husband was a smoker (along with being an abusive bastard, but I digress) and I will never go down that path again, no matter how nice the guy is.

She called up the dude and sadly informed him of my answer. His reaction? "For Paprika, I'll quit."

Totally cute and very flattering of him, but it ain't gonna happen. I told my friend to let him know he can ask me out again when he's been smoke free for at least a year. And I can bet my bottom dollar that will *never* happen. My ex husband wouldn't quit for me, and I'm certain this dude won't either.

Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

No comments: