Sunday, May 31, 2009

Soldier

I had a bizarre dream last night.

I was on a cruise ship with my family and friends, on our way to Cuba. There was a lot of walking around trying to find people and figuring out what was happening.

I met up with my brothers in a state room on the boat and we were talking about potentially taking a new apartment together. I told them we had to make a decision as it was the last day in the month and we'd all have to give notice to our respective landlords. There was a lot of talking back and forth about the subject and at one point, I excused myself because I had to go to the bathroom.

I walked around the ship looking for a bathroom and I kept getting stopped by people I knew and totally forgetting I had to go pee. At one point, someone asked me when I was due. I was extremely puzzled by the question. I looked down and suddenly realized that I was about 8 months pregnant. Even after seeing my pregnant belly, I still didn't feel like I was carrying a child.

I looked out one of the windows and realized we'd arrived at the port in Cuba. I left the ship for a fun day on the island.

I still had to go to the bathroom so I started walking towards a park where I thought I saw a restroom area. I was wearing a long, tan trench coat and realized I was feeling very warm so I took it off.

I got into one of the stalls in the restroom, shut the door, and hung my trench coat on the hook. I looked down and saw how truly pregnant I was. I was wearing a pretty white summer dress. In that moment, I finally felt the baby. It felt like it took up space in my whole body, not just in my belly.

All of a sudden, I realized why I felt like I had to pee. It was actually that I was in labour. I felt the baby moving out of my body. I looked down and saw the baby's head. I thought, "Okay, I'd better catch my baby!"

The delivery took all of 30 seconds. I had the baby in my arms and was waiting for it to cry. Nothing. So I wiped the face and eyes and dug my fingers into its mouth.

Still nothing.

The baby was starting to turn blue and I started to freak out. I smacked its bum and rubbed its chest to try to get the breathing going.

Then the baby opened its eyes and looked at me with panic. Then its face started to scrunch up like it was about to cry.

Still nothing.

I dug my fingers into its mouth again, trying to clear the passage way. Its tongue came out and it was still looking at me with panic.

I remember thinking the baby looks just like me. Thick black hair, brown eyes and an olive complexion.

And then all of a sudden the baby started to wail.

Relief washed over me.

I remember thinking it must be a girl because of the resemblance. I did a quick check and yes, it was a girl!

Things get a little fuzzy at this point but the next thing I remember is being back on the ship with everyone congratulating me.

Someone asked me where little Soldier was. I responded that she was sleeping in my room. I asked the person to please refer to her by her given name.

"But Soldier fits her perfectly."

I smiled. Yes it did. She was my little Solider.

And then I woke up.

No comments: