Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Julie & Julia & Paprika

I went to a screening of "Julie & Julia" this evening with a couple of girlfriends, one of whom is about to give birth in a couple of weeks.

I had no expectations going into this film because I didn't know anything about either of the title characters.

It turned out to be quite a funny, yet touching film about two women, from two completely different eras, trying to find themselves. Both used cooking as a means to truly understand who they are.

I could totally relate. Well, except for the cooking part. :)

The film tells us that Julia Child was almost 40 years old and still a virgin when she met her husband Paul. The film depicted them as devoted, supportive and madly in love with each other.

In real life, they both lived to be over 90 years old. Fifty years of marriage. And fifty years of Julia's buttery cooking.

Lately I've been steadfast in my thought that it is way too late for me to find the love of my life. But after learning about Julia & Paul's love story, I feel hope again.

However, it doesn't make me feel better that she died childless. :P

No comments: