Monday, July 21, 2008

Soon

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
soon
/sun/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation [soon]
–adverb, -er, -est.
1. within a short period after this or that time, event, etc.: We shall know soon after he calls.
2. before long; in the near future; at an early date: Let's leave soon.
3. promptly or quickly: He came as soon as he could.
4. readily or willingly: I would as soon walk as ride.
5. early in a period of time; before the time specified is much advanced: soon at night; soon in the evening.
6. Obsolete. immediately; at once; forthwith. —Idioms
7. sooner or later, eventually: Sooner or later his luck will run out.
8. would sooner, to prefer to: I would sooner not go to their party.

DT's Definition
Within 48 hours.

My Definition
Right bloody now.

I have a really hard time with this word. I think soon happens faster than later. So if someone says "talk soon", I would expect that to happen within a day. If someone says "talk to you later", I don't expect anything for at least a couple days.

Soon sounds so much closer than later.

Butterfly said he'd talk to me soon. Yeah. He meant later.

No comments: