Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Blind Battiness

My friend set me up on a blind date with a bat professor.

Yup. Professor of bats. PhD and all that.

I knew there would be some awkwardness but wow, that was probably one of the stiffest dates I've ever had. I don't know if he was nervous - I was, only because I didn't know what I would talk to him about and not sound like a complete bubblegum airhead.

At one point, I felt like I was on a date with one of my science profs, which isn't really surprising seeing as he IS a professor. Then later I felt like I was on a date with my Dad. And that's when I decided there would be no second date. Too bad cuz he asked me to go to a Bills game next week. There's nothing I love more than sweaty men wearing tights, grunting and smashing into each other.

I know within 90 seconds whether or not I will ever sleep with a guy I just met. Even if the context of meeting him is just as friends, I still *know*. I know which of my male friends I would sleep with if they ever became available or ever showed any sexual interest in me. I know which of my male friends I would never sleep with, even if they were the last guys on earth. Don't get me wrong, I love them and think they are wonderful people, they just don't turn my crank is all.

I knew within 10 seconds with Professor Bat. Sometimes I'll go out with a guy 2 or 3 times just to see if any chemistry will develop and the answer is always a resounding NO. My therapist told me to trust this. For me, chemistry is an instant process, not one that develops with time and repeated exposure.

I guess this just means I'm one step closer to finding the right guy. Or one step further from my sanity. I don't know if I can do blind dates anymore. It's just too nerve wracking.

1 comment:

C2G said...

Don't get discouraged, it's like Forrest Gump said, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get next"... or something to that effect......