Monday, February 9, 2009

Birthday Fun

I was out last night getting wrecked with my best friend Blondie. We hit a local Niagara pub for karaoke where I drank rum & coke all night. (At a fraction of what it would have cost up in the Tdot, I might add.)

There were a lot of cute (young) guys there. But none of them seemed to notice me - even after I rocked the mic with Pink's "So What?" Blondie and I were dancing later and this one guy marched right across the pub towards me, locking eyes, and then at the last minute, spun right around and headed back to his table. I laughed out loud at that. It's like he thought I was cute from across the bar, and as he got closer, realized I was probably about 10 years older than he.

We got back to Blondie's place around 3am were I unceremoniously passed out cold on her couch. I woke up around 8:30am and drove over to my Dad's place.

My brother and Dad woke up around 11:30am and gave me my birthday present - Ugly Betty Season 1 and Lady Gaga's album "The Fame". My little bro wanted to take me out to lunch but I insisted we just order pizza and hang out.

I threw on a toque and my coat over my PJs and headed out with brother in tow to the Fort Erie Mall to pick up some pizza.

Back in the day, my brothers, friends and I would spend hours at the Mall. Even though there really wasn't much, it was our after school and weekend playground. Gino's Pizza has been in that mall ever since I can remember, and at one point after I graduated from university, my boyfriend at the time had a job delivering pizzas for Gino's.

Walking in there brought back those memories, which I honestly had pretty much forgotten about. I remembered the nights I'd go meet up with the BF and wait for his shift to be over. We'd bring home stacks of unsold slices, which ended up being breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next few days.

My brother and I placed an order for the walk-in special, which came out to a whopping $5.65. The clerk told us it would be about 10 minutes, so we decided to walk around the Mall.

It's pretty much deserted now. The Walmart down the street effectively put the whole Mall out of business. The only things left aside from Gino's is a Sears Outlet (where you pick up items you order from the catalogue), a no-name discount clothing store, a barber shop (the same one!) and Zellers.

We went to Zellers where I immediately jumped onto a floor model elliptical machine. I can only imagine how ridiculous I looked with my red coat, green toque and pyjama pants, madly pumping away.

After my 2 minute work out, we shuffled back to Gino's, grabbed the pizza, drove through Timmy's and headed back to the house.

We jammed that pizza into our heads as fast as we could and played a few rounds of Rock Band before I had to leave to make my way back up to the Tdot for the Kevin Smith Film Fest. I bought a pass as a birthday present to myself. The films were fantastic and of course Kevin Smith was damn hiliarious during his Q&A.

I'm glad to say I didn't feel lonely at all on this birthday. And I spent it exactly the way I wanted to.

No comments: