Saturday, January 17, 2009

Just Delete

About 6 months ago, the motherboard in my home computer blew up. Okay, it didn't blow up, it probably got shorted out during several power outages in my building and hence met its untimely death.

I had 3 hard drives in my case. One of them was about circa 1994, another probably circa 2002, and then a new-ish one. At any rate, I had to ask Faux Beau to pull the data off the new-ish one and store it on his hard drive before I reinstalled Windows and installed the new motherboard.

Only recently did I figure out that I didn't get all the data back from Faux Beau's hard drive. We went through a whole rigamarole in figuring out what I had, what he still had, and then transferring the missing data with an external hard drive I borrowed from work.

Today I was supposed to be over at a friend's house to help out with a party she's throwing at the end of the month, however I woke up with a wicked sore throat. So instead of going over and spreading my germs, I decided to stay home and spend some time cleaning up my hard drives.

I found a folder buried in some other folders labelled "Pictures". I take a ton of pictures and because of my three hard drive problem, kept them all over the place. In this particular folder, there was an AVI file labelled "Picture 061". I double clicked to see what it was.

Turns out, it was a video clip of when my ex husband proposed to me at karaoke in front of all my friends.

It took about two seconds before I started bawling my eyes out. I turned it off and flung myself onto the couch. Gizmo came over and immediately started purring loudly and he gave me a kitty hug. My cat knows when I'm in pain and he's so awesome that he tries to make me feel better.

So do I delete this? Or leave it buried in my archives? Part of me wants to delete it so I don't accidentally upset myself again. But another part of me wants to keep it, only because right now I feel like I will never have someone propose to me again. And if it never happens again, at least I will have a record of it having happened once in my life.

Everything isn't quite so fine in '09...

2 comments:

Amy B said...

My vote is to delete it. You can hardly call it a real proposal when he was such an insane stupid SPED. You will get another one and it will be the greatest do-over of all time.

Anne Shirley said...

You can't erase the memory, but you can certainly delete the file. DELETE. You'll never watch it again, so why keep it? It's a waste of space, just like the SPED. Cut it out.