Monday, January 12, 2009

Million Dollar Question

I went out for drinks with my friend Carolyn the other night. We went to The Irish Embassy, a trendy downtown pub on Yonge Street. Walking in felt like winning the lottery as every guy there was HOT. However, the lottery feeling soon washed away when it was evident most were married - guys at trendy pubs wear their wedding rings.

Carolyn had called her friend Peter (who is also single) to join us as our wing man. He showed up about an hour after we arrived.

When he arrived, he immediately started talking to my boobs. I have to admit I was wearing a top that had a lot of cleavage, however I was getting annoyed with the fact that my boobs were having more conversations with him than I was.

It's too bad too cuz he was kind of cute, and I could have been swayed to at least sleep with him if he hadn't totally turned me off by talking to my chest.

At one point, where he was actually addressing me and not my girls, he asked, "Why is such a lovely lady like you still single?"

Why indeed? There were a million ways I could have answered that, but I came up with "Well, actually, I'm divorced."

I know that divorced still equals single. However if I'm doomed to single hood for the rest of my life, I at least want it known that at some point in my past, there was one person who found me desirable enough to make me his wife. That puts me one step up on the Ladder I've built in my mind.

The bottom rung is never married, never had a boyfriend and never been kissed. The second rung from the bottom is divorced. Then there's a million rungs in between, leading up to the top rung which is happily married with kids and a fantastic career.

At any rate, if I knew the answer to his question, don't ya think I'd have fixed it by now? I wish it were that easy. "Oh, the reason I'm still single is because my hair isn't curly enough. I'm off to the hairdresser tomorrow to get a perm and by night fall, I should be happily coupled!"

And the reason he's still single? Just ask my boobs, they'll tell ya.

No comments: